Qualified Animal Keeper - Africa
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
An opening has arisen for a Qualified Animal Keeper on our Africa Section at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo. Ideally this person will have experience of working with a variety species particularly with primates, including great apes. The Africa Section comprises a range of mammals including white rhino, reticulated giraffe, and chimpanzees, ring tailed lemurs, lions, cheetahs, Grevy's zebras, hippos and a number of antelope species. Some experience of working with hoof stock or carnivores would also be advantageous. This position will also assist the Team Leader, Deputy Team Leader and other Senior Keepers in all aspects of their work but primarily the care of the animals, ensuring high standards of animal welfare, animal husbandry and keep daily checks and records of animals within the section.
Working hours are 37.5 per week with summer and winter day length variation, worked within a roster which includes regular weekends so flexibility regarding hours is crucial. Applicants must have a passion for working with a variety of animals within a Zoo environment. Good communication skills and experience of dealing with the public is essential, together with the ability to work effectively within a team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Observing the behaviour, health and security of animals reporting any problems to the senior staff.
- Assisting with the preparation of approved diets and carrying out the correct feeding procedures.
- Cleaning and maintaining exhibits and other designated areas.
- Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are followed at all times.
- Ensuring that conditions for animals are suitable and reporting any problems, including defects or repairs required to enclosures, to the senior staff on section and relevant departments required.
- Assisting with the movement and/or training of animals and/or animal demonstrations
- Supporting in the training and mentoring of less experienced staff.
- Maintaining courteous and helpful relations with visitors and media.
- Supporting broader ZSL lead events such as late evenings and specialist functions.
- Have a good level of skill and knowledge with a proven work record with a variety of primates including great apes
- Have strong attention to detail and the ability to clearly convey instruction.
- Have an understanding of mammal breeding and good familiarity with external zoo associations such as BIAZA and EAZA.
- Able to use Microsoft software including Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Have a qualification in a relevant field at university level and/or diploma in the DZMAA Keeper’s course or equivalent work experience.
- Be reliable and have good time-keeping and attendance record and able to demonstrate leadership and professionalism.
- Have a full clean driving license is - Essential.
To learn more or apply please click HERE
Independent International Zoo Consultant