Animal Keeper : Great Apes
THIS POST IS NOW FILLED
Twycross Zoo is an award winning zoo and visitor attraction based in rural south
Leicestershire. Founded in 1963, it became a registered charity in 1972. Attracting 500,000 visitors each year, Twycross Zoo is at a very exciting stage of development with the first phase of a 20 year masterplan underway. The plan will see the zoo developing new habitats for a refreshed animal collection and enhanced visitor experience. Twycross Zoo is at the forefront of conservation, education and research. It has a strong commitment to its award winning education programme which aims to increase the level of awareness, knowledge and understanding about the animals
and their plight in the wild.
We currently have a vacancy for an Animal Keeper to work on our Great Apes section. This area manages all four species of great ape: gorilla, chimpanzee, orangutan and bonobo.
· A hands-on role, working on the section and covering all areas of daily animal husbandry including feeding, cleaning, training and record keeping
· Interacting with visitors to the zoo
· Assisting with the supervision and training of staff
Key Skills & Requirements
· A high performing, enthusiastic individual with a proven track record in zoo animal
· Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a keeper
· Able to demonstrate a substantial working knowledge of the natural history and
management of key species
· A good team worker with a positive outlook
· Excellent communication skills
· Committed to continued professional development of yourself and other staff
· Supervisory experience advantageous
· An animal related qualification such as ANCMZA or DZMAA
The role is on a permanent contract and is a full time position (working on average 5 days out of 7), including weekend duties on a rota system. Salary is paid monthly with and 31 days paid holiday per annum (pro-rata). Uniform is also provided
Please apply on-line by sending your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
This vacancy will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received, therefore you should submit your application as soon as possible.
Independent International Zoo Consultant