Experienced Zoo Keeper
Ventura Wildlife’s Zoological Gardens
Closing Date: Until sufficient applicants have been received
Contract: Full time
The role involves the day to day husbandry of a large and diverse collection of mammals focusing on animal welfare, record keeping and ensuring that exhibits are maintained to the highest standards.
• Day to day husbandry of the animals at VWZG.
• Excellent observational and note keeping skills when working with the animals at the park.
• Ability to prep diets for all animals.
• Experience using methods of operant conditioning would be advantageous.
• Must be in good physical condition – activities include bending, kneeling, standing, carrying and lifting.
• Giving hands on talks to visitors and schools.
• Strict adherence to safe working practices.
• Maintaining high standards around the park including emptying bins, weeding and window cleaning.
Essential to have one or more of the following:
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Good organisation/planning skills with the ability to work within strict deadlines
• Experience working with a range of animals.
• Experience and knowledge of working with children and adults with a range of learning difficulties and/or physical and mental disabilities
• Operating the opening and closing of animal enclosures during animal experiences at the Zoological Gardens and be responsible for the welfare of visitors and animals in those exhibits.
• Occasionally being responsible and handling money raised during fundraising events
• High levels of flexibility required in order to respond to daily problems across a wide range of areas (staff absence, change or cancellation of events, equipment failure, visitor queries and other situations)
• The job is varied and requires a practical and creative mind-set
• This post involves spending a large amount of time outdoors in all weather conditions as events continue to be held in all conditions
• Occasional early and late working will be required to accommodate deadlines or special events
• Weekend working is a regular feature of this job
• Working bank holidays and other holiday time is a regular feature of the job
• We operate a non-smoking working environment
• A full UK or EU driving license is essential
How to apply:
Please send your CV and a cover letter to Sam Bullock at firstname.lastname@example.org detailing what role you have applied for and your suitability for the position.
Independent International Zoo Consultant