Qualified Animal Keeper - Asia
Salary: £22,462 (Inclusive of Weekend Enhancement)
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
Overview of Role:
An opening has arisen for a Qualified Animal Keeper in our Asia Section at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo. This position will include deputising for the Asia Team Leader in their absence to ensure the smooth operation of the section as well as being directly involved in the day to day operation of the Asia section. The Qualified Animal Keeper will assist the Team Leader in all aspects of their work, primarily with staff management and the care of the animals in the section. The successful candidate will also be expected to:
• Observe the behaviour, health and security of animals and report any problems to the Team Leader or manager including defects or repairs required to enclosures and relevant departments required to support work needed.
• Assist with the preparation of approved diets and carrying out the correct feeding procedures.
• Cleaning and maintaining of exhibits and other designated areas.
The successful candidate will:
• A good level of skill and knowledge together with a proven work record with large ungulates and hoof-stock.
• Experience with large carnivores would also be an advantage.
• Have strong attention to detail and the ability to clearly convey instruction.
• Have an understanding of mammal breeding and good familiarity with external zoo associations such as BIAZA and EAZA.
• Able to use Microsoft software including Outlook, Excel and Word.
• Have a qualification in a relevant field at university level and/or diploma in the DZMAA Keeper’s course or equivalent work experience.
• Be reliable and have good time-keeping and attendance record and able to demonstrate leadership and professionalism.
• A full driving license is also required.
Please note: Flexible working is required for this position which will include the successful candidate be expected to work 2 out of 3 weekends and bank holidays. Applicant must also be presentable, flexible in their approach and totally reliable.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the "Apply for this job online" button. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 20th August 2017
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
See Vacancy Details HERE
Independent International Zoo Consultant